PDA

View Full Version : eq classic

sirar
12-13-2007, 11:04 AM
a friend of mine showed me this site today:

www.eqclassic.org

it is a project to start up a eq server with only the original eq to start off with.
6months later kunark and after that velius.

and the server will be kept in the original status as we remember it.
me and some of my friends will prolly try it out when it starts up :)

Massif
12-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Hmm. My guess is that SOE kills this project unless they already have, say, 375 or so student lawyers ready to argue.

EDIT: I note that this is post 1776 for me. Is it time to declare independence from SOE's development cycle?

/waves a flag

Yieu
12-14-2007, 08:55 AM
This looks promising. Just looking at the screenshots is highly nostalgic.

http://kscakes.com/LolCats/Uploads/Saved/do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg

Aenoan
12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
It looks interesting

Kaliaila
12-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Looks illegal.

Aenoan
12-18-2007, 02:11 AM
Looks illegal.

Free realms aren't illegaif they were, Ultima Online wouldn't be esentially dead (since feeuorealms ile novus opiate have been around since 2nd age expansion) because im pretty sure when Orgin still existed they would have done something about it.
Same goes for WoW theres a few realms out there.

Kaliaila
12-18-2007, 02:43 AM
It is however illegal to do what they are proposing so it looks illegal to me.

Massif
12-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Int'l copyright law might save them for a while. If they based it in Russia or China they'd probably be home free.

Bodhidharma
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Wasn't there some Winter's something-or-other "Free" EQ server for a while? Thought we even had a forum specifically for it here. Weren't they forced to shut down by Sony for legal reasons?

How would this be any different than that?

Ninjafist
12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
If I remember right winters roar was taking "donations" for the effort to keep it open and they started making money off of SoE's property and that was the grounds they were shut down on.

Massif
12-18-2007, 12:56 PM
It's possible that SOE has learned a lesson from the RIAA's efforts to make itself the Most Hated Trade Group Ever, and may hold the lawyers at bay as long as no one is making any money and this idea in no way impacts their revenue stream.

Don't count on it, though.

Ahatma256
12-18-2007, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't mind if they checked to make sure you had a current EQ subscription in order to log in to there server. I don't know how to work that out though.

Floppie7th
12-19-2007, 03:36 AM
They'd have to either find an open, unencrypted way to check if account name/password combinations are valid (unlikely), break the encryption and do it the fun way (slightly less, but still very, unlikely), or get an agreement with SOE (most unlikely of all). That pretty much covers all the options that, as a programmer, I can think of off the top of my head ;)

Ughbash
12-19-2007, 08:37 AM
They'd have to either find an open, unencrypted way to check if account name/password combinations are valid (unlikely), break the encryption and do it the fun way (slightly less, but still very, unlikely), or get an agreement with SOE (most unlikely of all). That pretty much covers all the options that, as a programmer, I can think of off the top of my head ;)

You left out put a message up, by clicking agree, you state you have a valid EverQuest subscription. :)

That would of course stop anyone who didn't have a subscription from ever playing.

Reyla the Gnome
12-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Another one.

It does not matter if you use copyrighted, trademarked and owned material in Montana or "based in China" or if you make money off it or are doing it with deep affection for Norrath. It is illegal.

It's always funny how people try to explain the super secret loopholes that can be used. There are none.

The only reason these things get closed down later than sooner is because they are hiding in China or the owner does not put top priority on shutting it down immediately.

You can't make a soft drink called Coca Cola. Nobody argues that so why do people think there is a super secret encrypted back door method for running an Everquest server in Bangladesh?

Shawee
12-19-2007, 01:54 PM
You are probably right, but I think it may be a little more complicated than you make it to be.
Are we not talking about the use of a server and not the copyright hijacking of data>?
Does SOE say in their EULA that you SHALL not use our data( i.e. The CD you purchased) to play on another server not owned by SOE?
I dont know. Data copyright from cradle to grave and perhaps a little beyond the grave in this case.
Of course the Patching Data added over the years is copyrighted and couldnt be used by another independant server.

Massif
12-19-2007, 02:50 PM
this sentence I am writing now is copyrighted to a certain degree, though the terms of use probably say something about that. as I understand it, once you write something, assuming its yours, you automatically assert ownership under copyright laws of the us. if you really want to protect that ownership, then you can take further steps to formalize that ownership, such as registering it & c.

Ughbash
12-19-2007, 03:19 PM
A point was made that copyright still applies in CHina.

This is correct BUT,

It can not be enforced without the help of chinese government which has previously been shown to not be overly concerned by intellectual theft. Same with Russia, in Russia you pay the right people, you can run the server.

Massif
12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
AllOfMyMP3 paid the right people as I recall.

wycca
12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Since I know what the situation was. Winter's Roar did not take any money in profit, despite whatever rumors. Their host got tired of SoE's lawyers sending them letters, and ended up just cancelling their account. I believe they are hosted elsewhere now, and last I knew, were working on a new MMO called Dawntide.

Sontor
12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
So.. the question is.. since they don't plan on ever getting to the PoP expansion.. does this mean original monk mitigation and no nerf?

Yieu
12-19-2007, 05:37 PM
So.. the question is.. since they don't plan on ever getting to the PoP expansion.. does this mean original monk mitigation and no nerf?
Ha, http://eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=744

We were all wondering it, weren't we?

Sontor
12-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks Yieu... not sure how I missed that, I actually looked in the forums before asking.

:redface:

Yieu
12-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I searched the forums too, and since it wasn't asked I had to. :)

Floppie7th
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
You left out put a message up, by clicking agree, you state you have a valid EverQuest subscription. :)

That would of course stop anyone who didn't have a subscription from ever playing.

Damn. I missed what is clearly the most elegant and secure solution~

rigeld
12-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Q: Will 2 boxing or multi-boxing be allowed in EQC?

A: Multi boxing for those who aren't aware is controlling two characters on one computer through tabbed windows or other such means. It will be prohibited on the EQClassic server. We feel that there is are strong reasons against playing more than one character and are implementing ways of finding and banning those that do. Do not worry about this being a problem. Simply play one character and you will be fine.
Meh. Screw them - I've boxed since Kunark, and cant do without it now.

Yieu
12-19-2007, 08:36 PM
I think that's reasonable - on EQ live servers there is a penalty for boxing: you have to pay more.

Here there is no such penalty.

So everyone could just play 2-3 characters and zip through the game without as much struggle, and that old school struggle is part of what made it fun.

It also encourages you to group more, and be a part of the social environment. Old school EQ had a much more rich social environment, and they are trying to tap into that.