PDA

View Full Version : Time to condense the forums?

ryum
11-16-2007, 08:54 PM
since the latest move we have either lost a lot of people or a lot of the forums are rarely posted in...

By looking at the number of new post in the forums i suggest

Here are the main catagories and my suggested changes

Rules & News
This one is short.. its okay with me, but after a month or so I'd get rid of the Site Update - Bugs, tweaks, requests and make that part of OOC or tech support

EverQuest
I think a couple of these could be probably be combined

Massive Multiplayer Online Games
MMOG- condense this to include Lord of the Rings Online, City of Heroes, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Everquest II
If any one of those or a new game blows up with post and/or popularity then re-open it to its own forum

Out of Character & Polls
OOC - condense to include Polls, Food & Recipe's, Computer & Console Gaming
Tech support

and drop the majority of the out of date post and forums in the Archive & Staff like planetside, monk change, and pop, ect

It doesn't really matter to me, but I do know I almost never check the forums I suggest for being cause there is never anything new to read there.

edit: also we can probably drop quite a bit of the sticky post...

Soygen
11-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I agree there needs to be less.

Kaane Feiwong
11-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I disagree, kinda. I say there needs to be more...more people posting that is. We need an advertising campaign.

Karm Hundredfists
11-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Dude I'm with Kaane, let's see if we can get enough forums so that each member will have one of their own!!!

ryum
11-17-2007, 03:51 PM
well condensing will prompt more post in my opinion... most the time I have something to post console game related I just don't bother cause only one or two people will read/post anything back... and usually a day delay on that.

same with many of the less active forums

Sontor
11-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I definitely see less posters since the move, unsure why that is.

Collapsing forums would be good IMO. The more people get the chance to see a topic and mix it up, the more discussion and exchange of ideas.

Ryum I think your suggestions are pretty good. All of those individual forums could easily be collapsed into the main ones as you described.

Phung Kuu
11-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I definitely see less posters since the move, unsure why that is.

Because there were no redirect links when the board was rebuilt.

People don't just bookmark the front page, they bookmark what they go to.

What they go to, all had 404 errors. Looked like someone forgot to pay the server bill, and the board went belly up. So they left.

Phung Kuu
11-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Get rid of all the old stickies.

Condense them.

ryum
11-17-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah.. no offense but the switch was pretty badly handled.

I was bout 2 days away from unbookmarking it and just check for it a week later or so, and I have been coming to these boards since right before Ruins of Kunark came out.
not to meantion the last board was the most cosmetically appealing.

Lenardo
11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
it happens, at to the number of posters/posts a day, it's about the same i'll probably activate the email reminder function for inactive posters and send something out to everyone,

condensed several forums this morning, contemplating condensing a few more.