PDA

View Full Version : Question

Karm Hundredfists
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi, my name is Karm.

I started playing everquest in 2001 (Kunark). I played a Paladin from June to July. Then I played a Monk from July 2001-December 2002 (PoP). I got to level 58 and had to quit. I loved everquest more than any other mmo that I've ever played (WoW, EQII, CoH, that one without a monthly fee) since. I'd like to play an MMO again and I'm debating between WoW (second favorite of all time) and EQ (best ever, partially due to nostalgia). Do you think that I might actually enjoy levelling from 1-85 or whatever it is in EQ? WoW is so popular and far more advanced, but EQ I know and love. There's no option to add a poll, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Karm Hundredfists
11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Other things to consider, I only know EQ original - Luclin very well, is it going to take me a year to begin to comprehend the level of raiding that now occurs? What is the learning curve for a brand new player joining the game?

Will I be able to camp Raster again, or is that asking for a suicide attempt? Do you even have to camp Raster anymore? What's the game like compared to what it once was?

polkgaiimahn
11-08-2007, 01:32 AM
There are no more labyrinth zones like KC or Guk or w/e. It's kind of disappointing. People exp in zones that are instanced or underpopulated non-instanced. You will never see more than 24 in top end zones unless it's a new expansion (or if a raid is preparing to request a dz.)

Frostcrypt: It's just a bunch of connected rooms, feels much like LDON
Ashengate: 3 single-paths to clear...zone out do it again, or stay in a spot in a wing
Silyssar (TBS): Well you've got 3 temples in hte sky with basically the same 4 floor layout as each other....no one goes here

If you want hot CT groups or OS groups, well that stuff just doesn't exist anymore.

ghidra01
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
There are no more labyrinth zones like KC or Guk or w/e. It's kind of disappointing. People exp in zones that are instanced or underpopulated non-instanced. You will never see more than 24 in top end zones unless it's a new expansion (or if a raid is preparing to request a dz.)

Frostcrypt: It's just a bunch of connected rooms, feels much like LDON
Ashengate: 3 single-paths to clear...zone out do it again, or stay in a spot in a wing
Silyssar (TBS): Well you've got 3 temples in hte sky with basically the same 4 floor layout as each other....no one goes here

If you want hot CT groups or OS groups, well that stuff just doesn't exist anymore.

Eq's changed alot since then,for good and worse. Eq is more of a time sink than WoW,so it would depend on how much time ur willing to put in. Its no secret its lot of time to play catch up in eq now,leveling,aa's,gear etc..its alot to take in. Learning curve,well theres some but u've played before so u have the basics down :)
Bottom line is how much time u have,and willing to put in either or. If lot of time,then EQ;if no then WoW. Ive just heard more ppl who came from WoW that did'nt like it,it was too easy etc...

Leksikon
11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Karm, good to see your name again it's definitely been a while heh. EQ has changed a lot in terms of what content is available and the overall power of items and players but the fundamentals are still there. If you find folks that you knew previously who are willing to help you get settled you can get back into the swing of things quickly enough. We have a lot of new skills and AAs available to us now, the combat system has changed a bit, but overall the basics of the game aren't so radically different - it's still EverQuest.

And it's easy enough to kill the Brothers, they still drop the robe, no need to camp Raster, you've done it once so don't suffer again :)

rapitiss
11-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I recently started playing wow and its not a bad game. The best part of it is anyone can solo stuff thats their level. So its a little better in that you can jump on with out knowing anyone and go do stuff.

The down side of wow is it takes a long time to level a character from 1 to 70 even if you have friends get you weapons, gear, and help level you.

I greatly prefer EQ raiding over WoW raiding, but I was doing half PUG karra runs so might be a bit biased.

Oh and in EQ if you get a druid helping you level you can pretty easily get to 50 in a weekend.

Floppie7th
11-08-2007, 08:58 PM
it takes a long time to level a character from 1 to 70

What planet do you live on? ;)

Timbrewuf
11-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Experience at lower levels is much faster than several years ago but there are alot less people at low level unless it is someone leveling a twink. Alot of the zones you were used to are deserted now. This can be a plus if you have a solo toon. Alot would depend on finding a family style guild that has some low levels or people with alts to help you along the way. What server are you planning on coming back on ? Do you still have any friends that play EQ ?

silenzhandz
11-09-2007, 01:58 AM
As someone mentioned, its all about how much time you have.

After 7 years though, I am finally getting sick of the same old same old.

I'd suggest wow unless a) you have alot of time and b) you have a few friends to help you, else it will be lonely.

Karm Hundredfists
11-09-2007, 03:14 AM
No post

Karm Hundredfists
11-09-2007, 03:16 AM
Seriously...

Even if I don't play EQ again.

Give Monks their dignity back.

Karm Hundredfists
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I guess I would go back to Aonyae Ro and make an Iksar twink (though I've heard that server doesn't exist anymore. I used to know a lot of people but don't really have a community to go back to. I'm just kind of bored.

Tzaj
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't want to put you off returning, but I think you can expect to be creamed by most mobs in the new content as they tend to be tuned to PoP damage giving rather than old world. Also getting pick up groups is going to be real hard as a low level.

Ok that is the negative side. Positive side is that the PoP nerf is revoked so you will be able to solo old world just as before you quit. Raiding, well you are a long way off, but just give a bit of that ol' skool monky experience.

Getting into a raid guild aint going to happen as your too far below the curve right now. But at least on servers like BB there are a few casual guilds that take all levels now, and in the lobby there are boards to find one near to your time zone. So look and ask about and you should get a social side to EQ whilst you solo and get the occasional group via a non raid guild at least. In the long term you will be able to get in to full or part time raiding, just see what you want to do at that time and guild shop.