PDA

View Full Version : How about another server merge?

Senadin A
10-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I got the station access pass a week or so ago. So i been playing Vanguard/EQ2 and lately, i spent a fair bit of time in old EQ.

I am on Bristlebane and even at peak time i got a hell of a hard time finding a group. At most there's like 20-40 people in PoK and maybe a bit less in guild hall.

Dont you think that it be time for another server merge? I go thru zones that used to have TONS of folks in it like PoT and there's no one there!

I feel some sadeness seeing this little folks in a game that used to have tons more! Also the fact that finding a group is a damn pain in the ass and i can only solo so long before being extremely bored.

So what are your views on another server merge?

PS, on a related note i found another emulated EQ server and it seems well done so far. SOE really need to get a classic server with the actual old zones and old items, without the crazy progression to get the uber guild to screw it up.

Wonton
10-30-2007, 11:26 PM
PoK population isn't a good way to gauge a server's health anymore. Guild hall instancing, and people come and go out of the guild lobby all the time.

PoT is outdated, and is mostly a pass through for people to grind from 55 to 60 in PoV. And then maybe a little more in BoT.

Senadin A
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Honestly when i see hardly anyone in hub type zones what does it tell you? To me and i could be wrong it means they need to merge servers. Though if they did merge servers, how many would quit? because of it? There's something to be said for not upsetting the balance!

So tell me, how much do you guesstimate the server population nowadays?

Wonton
10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
groups are easy at the higher levels, because most people who play tend to be higher levels. you can only level once, so it's only logical that the lower population is going to be craptastic. you act surprised.

what hub typed zones are you referring to? what time of day do you play? povar has a very healthy population. i'm never wanting for a rez or buffs when i need them, and if i decide to go LFG i don't spend much time at all waiting for one. there are so many instanced zones nowadays.

but hey, if outdated static zones are empty you must be right.

Timbrewuf
10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I am on Luclin and the server population seems to be pretty good actually.

Makassis Kikassis
10-31-2007, 11:42 AM
I typically gage a server's population by the bazaar. Once upon a time the tribunal typically had 500 traders up, it fell to around 250 and we had the mergers. Post merger it was back up in the 500 range. Typical trader population is back to 200 to 250 now in the tribunal.

Ughbash
10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
On Tunare this last week we have had between 60 and 80 raiders for open raids.
Consdiering 54 is the max that can raid FC or Ashengate or just about anywhere worth raiding, I don't really see a reason to double our population.

Monday for instance we had 80 people in channel, that means 16 peopel were sitting out for Beltron.

eagleclaww
10-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Another problem about merging servers is that sony bases its decisions on how many toons are active on a server, and doesn't seem to take into consideration that there are a ton of peeps that box, thereby raising the number of toons on a server, but making it hard to get into groups if you can't box yourself.

At least on Saryrn, there are a ton of peeps that box, or I"m stuck getting a group with casual gamers that can't handle the harder zones or group missions.

netura
10-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Consdiering 54 is the max that can raid FC or Ashengate or just about anywhere worth raiding, I don't really see a reason to double our population.
Monday for instance we had 80 people in channel, that means 16 people were sitting out for Beltron.

monk math!!! always 10 less than there really are! :p

Isloor
10-31-2007, 02:04 PM
1st rule of pulling - Always downplay the mob numbers. ;)

Ughbash
10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
1st rule of pulling - Always downplay the mob numbers. ;)

Which is why they don't let me pull anymore :)

First thing I say in raid when pulling is I am too lazy to bother to Feighn so Offtank.

Kamikazy01
10-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Which is why they don't let me pull anymore :)

First thing I say in raid when pulling is I am too lazy to bother to Feighn so Offtank.

/rsay "Incoming more than 1 mob. FD hotkey broken...have fun!"

Maereax
10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
/rsay "Incoming more than 1 mob. FD hotkey broken...have fun!"

dont do that in AG! they put you on door duty :(

Senadin A
10-31-2007, 08:19 PM
groups are easy at the higher levels, because most people who play tend to be higher levels. you can only level once, so it's only logical that the lower population is going to be craptastic. you act surprised.

what hub typed zones are you referring to? what time of day do you play? povar has a very healthy population. i'm never wanting for a rez or buffs when i need them, and if i decide to go LFG i don't spend much time at all waiting for one. there are so many instanced zones nowadays.

but hey, if outdated static zones are empty you must be right.

Hub type? How about guild hall/lobby, PoK is still an important hub as well. My play time? Around 9MST and later. Tough it varies from days to days as i do shift work.

I spent easy 4-5 hours this weekend and the only invite i seen was for a trial and i had to be honest with the guy and i told him i just got back. The guy then said he would look for someone else! I have been on Bristlebane for years, some on and off, but i started playing right a bit before Kunark on that server. So it isnt like i am so new monk, or whatnot. I've been around!

Ohhh to top it off, i tried the same thing with my 62 cleric...guess what, it was worse for my cleric! I mean when cleric canot get a group that's pushing it no?

This is why i was saying and asking your input about a server merge. Because frankly this is what i felt when i got back, I felt i got back to a dead game.

Kajok
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I play on Bristlebane and Server is actually one of the more pupulated servers out there lol. You might be playing at the wrong times... but in the guild lobby I almost always see 80+ and tons of people running around in most zones I go to.

Whispering Wind
11-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah Bristlebane isnt too bad. Many of our server's raiding guilds are out & about probably during your playtimes. This makes groups... PUGs... rather difficult to find. You need to make new exp buddies thats all. An Active guild can keep ya busy too. You can only do so much on your own ya know?

baleful tigercrane
11-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Hub type? How about guild hall/lobby, PoK is still an important hub as well. My play time? Around 9MST and later. Tough it varies from days to days as i do shift work.

I spent easy 4-5 hours this weekend and the only invite i seen was for a trial and i had to be honest with the guy and i told him i just got back. The guy then said he would look for someone else! I have been on Bristlebane for years, some on and off, but i started playing right a bit before Kunark on that server. So it isnt like i am so new monk, or whatnot. I've been around!

Ohhh to top it off, i tried the same thing with my 62 cleric...guess what, it was worse for my cleric! I mean when cleric canot get a group that's pushing it no?

This is why i was saying and asking your input about a server merge. Because frankly this is what i felt when i got back, I felt i got back to a dead game.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOB

Welcome back Senadin!

Ughbash
11-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Now this is NOT usual but I logged on around 9PM last Saturday, and before I was fully loaded I had a tell asking me to come pull an instance from someone who I have no idea who they were.

I declined, joined raid channel for raid already in process, got an invite and went to kill Wulfnor (gratz Xyndail on Second Brumal).

Tunare server btw.

quorthon
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
IMHO AB at least is as healthy as it's ever been atm.

I think EQ's demographic in general has subtly changed over the years. More of us now "box" and play within our "xp cliques"

Personally I'm in high end raiding guild and rarely XP anyway (even when I do, it's usually within the same bunch of a dozen or so friends) having said that, I reasonably often get asked to groups within the few mins I have LFG up whilst forming raid.

That’s speaking as a Necro who generally speaking aren't massively "needed" within groups.

Certainly sounds like other servers aren't quite as healthy as AB though.

Call the eternal optimist but I'd have assumed SoE would be the best judges of Server Merges.

It makes the game (you'd hope) more fun for the people LFG'ing, and saves them the running costs of 2 "servers" versus 1.

Or would the negative "end of the world" type publicity not be worth it?

Reyla the Gnome
11-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Everquest population is at an all time low. A server merge might be bad for business though.

Since the majority of the population boxes and is at the level cap, a server merge would only clog the hotzones with PLers and raid zones with too many raiders like the Tunare example given.

(Yes, I know there have been various quotes from devs stating things like "89% of all Everquest players are below level 50" Yeah, right.)

Gassire-Scorpse
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
(Yes, I know there have been various quotes from devs stating things like "89% of all Everquest players are below level 50" Yeah, right.)[/QUOTE]

I believe it.

ever made an alt? ever make another one?

I have like 6 alts and only 2 are above 50.

I'm on Tunare and I have no trouble getting a group... it's mostly with guildies... the hard part is finding a cleric if ya don't got one >.<

boxing FTW~

Edit: oh yeah - I also don't want the server to look like this:
Tunare (E'Ci, Tribunal, Mithanial Marr)

Kaliaila
11-07-2007, 07:13 AM
EQ population isn't at a low from what I can tell, but then I also see what a lot of the others have said. Most people tend to only play within a group of friends or box otherwise. They don't hang out in hubs anymore they go to zones and solo or box till they get a group or friends log on to make one. A larger portion are also in instances which means you can't see them reguardless of where they are. The only people who actually know what the situation as far as population goes is SOE and they aren't stupid enough to post that publically in any way which could be seen or twisted to be negative for the game. There are actually a LOT of characters that are below 50 and active, they just tend to be an alt or paired with someone who isn't. I know several people who have 5-10 alts in the 20-60 range.
In the end server merges don't help servers the last ones actually hurt some servers more than they helped.