PDA

View Full Version : Any reason instill doubt won't gain skill?

Shotan
07-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Been trying to raise instill doubt, but its just not going up. Any ideas?

Zojo
07-12-2006, 12:43 AM
IIRC back when I started as a monk, around Kunark time, I had read it was the slowest skill to work up. And it said to literally save your training points and spend them all on it, lol :D

Isloor
07-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Make a hot key to it and link every other button and command you do to that hot key as well. In a year or so wou'll be maxxed. It took me years to max it.

Shotan
07-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Its not that its rising slow, folks.

Its not rising, period.

Ddemons
07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
how long have you been spamming it? i can spam it for approx. 30min to an hour before i get a skillup..

Soygen
07-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Do you have a mob targeted when you're doing it and are you in range to hit them with the kick?

Lenardo
07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
when i did it WAY back when.. i did it on the boats...

i am having the same problem atm with sneak..

30 minutes of standing still and just pressing the sneak button...not one skill raise

Ddrakon
07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Sneak caps at 113, if your skill is that high, that's why it won't go up anymore. =x

As for Instill Doubt, way back in the day you didn't need to be in range to kick the thing you were targetting to get skillups. You could click anything and skillup on it from anywhere in the zone. Then again, they might've changed it.

I remember being in EC tunnel and using my hotkey to FD, stand up and use ID, then I'd do it again over and over until my FD was maxed... I've always been a patient guy. :P

Lenardo
07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
my skill is umm 12 in sneak if i remember correctly...which is what i put into it when i got it... saving up for FD now....

Soygen
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I did most of my ID training while feigned and targeting someone's pet. I don't know if pets still work, though.

Leewei
07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I've worked both Feign Death and Sneak up by button mashing. Feign Death in particular is painfully slow -- much as I remember it.

Intimidation has not gone up once in a few dozen uses. I've dumped 47 trainings into it so far and actually had it work -- however no skill increases have occurred.

Senadin A
07-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I've put 1 point and never had an increase for about 3 days. Then i went back shoved 19 in it and i've had about 5 skill up since then.

Phistikuffs
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Over time, I've spammed Intimidation while in PoK or the Guild Lobby/Hall. You can spam it as long as you have another player targeted and they don't have to be in range, just in the zone :wink: My skill is currently in the 130s. One of these days I'll max it out.

Kamikazy01
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Over time, I've spammed Intimidation while in PoK or the Guild Lobby/Hall. You can spam it as long as you have another player targeted and they don't have to be in range, just in the zone :wink: My skill is currently in the 130s. One of these days I'll max it out.

same here, sit in guild hall, target an AFK guildie, then spam the hotkey while reading a book or doing homework. skill is up to 120's or 130's, somewhere in there.

Ddemons
07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Feign Death in particular is painfully slow -- much as I remember it.
yup, FD is a pain, i would get 1 skillup a week or so, i finally got to 199 skill, got sick of waiting for it to max, walked by a guildmaster and dropped 50p on that point :D

VoldethLJ02
07-13-2006, 05:20 PM
From what I recall, you couldn't get skillup on ID unless it was a successful check. That is, skilling it up at really low skills was nigh on impossible, while once it got higher it had a lot more actual chances to skill up.

With ID starting at 1 now instead of 18 (I think) that probably doesn't help the problem.

Of course, things could have easily changed. Last I knew you couldn't have FK greyed out or it wouldn't trigger at all and apparently that changed too.

DraclorXXX
07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
When I was skilling ID up about a year ago for giggles, I would hit it on raid mobs while melee'ing. I'd get fails over and over and over. THen it would Succeed, I'd get the Immune To Fear message, and gain from 1 to 3 points.

Leewei
07-13-2006, 06:42 PM
I've gotten a few skill increases now after buying skill up to 40 or so. It looks like you need to sink quite a few training points into it, but it does eventually start going up with use.

Quwi Changkane
07-17-2006, 03:53 AM
I maxed ID while fishing. Every time I hit the fishing button I'd also ID on a mob far away. It took a while, but it maxed eventually.

Now if it would actually work consistantly, and on mobs of my level it would actually be useful.

BTW, I maxed beg and sneak the same way.

Actually, if I can get my last 20 points in tailoring I'll be maxed in all skills, including languages. Then it will be time to start using AA'S on tradeskills.

Quwi

Sollen
07-17-2006, 06:32 AM
The actual use time for the ID is longer than the refresh time on the button. ID will only complete, and therefore give a chance to succeed, if no other skill buttons are greyed out at the time it finishes a certain point of the animation, the reverse kick iirc. If you hit the button every time it refreshes, you will not finish the previous ID, and so will not have a chance to gain skill.

I believe I used to practice on hill giants way back in the day, I would ID, wait till I saw the reverse kick animation, then hit FK, and then start a new ID once all animations stopped and I was back to just swinging normally.

Ughbash
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
The actual use time for the ID is longer than the refresh time on the button. ID will only complete, and therefore give a chance to succeed, if no other skill buttons are greyed out at the time it finishes a certain point of the animation, the reverse kick iirc.

That was changed a while back I think during SOL might have been early pop. You can get an instill doubt to work even if you havbe another special attack going.

Sollen
07-17-2006, 04:54 PM
That shows how long it has been since I used it then! :oops:

Ancaglon
07-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Actually, I suspect the recent change to immediately un-grey skills if they were not effective (i.e. you aren't actually close enough to hit something that might not be affected) will make raising this much harder - since I'm at work right now, this is just speculation - would someone that's online care to do a quick test?

Quanko
07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Anc..dude I swear I am not following you on the boards..

There is not any change to immediately ungray skills. Sneak still takes roughly 2 tics to refresh. And it was Luclin when they fixed the change to ID. I remember this because this is when I was able to solo Gorangas in Maidens using ID kiting :)

I think I will hit 18 in the next day or so on Sleeper. What I did to raise ID back in the day was toggle the skill to my left and right arrow keys and use toggle NPC. The problem was remembering to take it off when I hit cities :P

Ancaglon
07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
The instant-ungrey was for skills that didn't take effect because of the target. Try firing Flying Kick while targetting something that's too far to hit. The key ungreys immediately. This doesn't apply to sneak -- it is not an 'opposed' skill.