PDA

View Full Version : Mend atk Off or not?

Senadin A
07-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Ok yesterday on Combine server me and Leewei had a talk about turning atk off before mend to increase the odds of it working.

Funny thing is, since i started playing EQ many years ago i was told that by some monks. So basically i even made a hotkey to turn atk off and mend automatically and atk back on.

Lately i was chatting with some monks telling me their % of sucess were rather very crappy. I can mend at level 12 with a skill of about 42 or something right now 1-2 out of 6. Those are rough guesses mind you. Leewei said it doesnt make a difference, i say it does. Was i wrong all those years by what a few monks told me 4-5 years ago?

Kamikazy01
07-01-2006, 06:29 PM
I heard of turning off attk before FDing, but i nevr heard about turning attk off before mending.

Derakahn
07-01-2006, 06:36 PM
you're confusing this with FD i think, i've never heard the turn off atk before mend rumor
back in the day a loong time ago, having attack on used to screw up FD, which has since been fixed/proven wrong (i honestly don't remember what the problem was, its been a while)
But i think its after skill 100 on mend it cannot will not fail.
I haven't had a mend fail since like level 20 back in 2001

Senadin A
07-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Shit you guys are probably right, but i have been playing this thing for a while so maybe i am confusing this and confusing with FD too!!

Sorry i been on drugs for a few days now....doc prescribed drugs, but they are GOOD drugs!
I remember some monks telling me to turn atk off before hitting it and i never stoped, heck my key on my old main on bristlebane still is set for atk off, same as fd..lol

Never too late to learn!

Fisticuffs
07-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Not to mention mend is 100% success after 100 skill in it, i do beleive.

edit: nm derakahn beat me to it.

Jonnyman
07-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Its FD and not mend. Mend = 0 fail after a skill of 100 or higher. FD used to fail if you didnt turn attack off prior to attempting to FD.

Iksa
07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
You no longer have to turn attack off before FD anymore either. It was changed/fixed a while back.

Leewei
07-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Mend's up to 51 now on Combine and subjectively it seems to work about half the time. On Brell Serilis, I had failed Mends through 100. As soon as I hit 101, I never had another failed Mend. After 101, Mend is just a number with no added game benefit. It'd be nice to have +% Mend items in EQ with skill over 200 aiding in crit Mend procs or other effects. Just wishful thinking there. :)

Derakahn
07-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Up until about 3 weeks ago I STILL had my /attack off /doability 6(fd) key on my main page, now I use the regular FD hotkey so I can see its refresh.
I think (but dont remember for sure) the reason FD used to fail so often was that there was a bit of server lag, and when you FD'd you were still attacking, which then in turn broke the feign, but with attack off, it counted you as actually FD'ing.

but aye, all those old monkly problems of attack off before FD, make sure kick is active before you instill doubt (intimidate), etc, have been fixed now (thank god).

Ddrakon
07-02-2006, 11:14 AM
To put it simply, your Mend skill is the percentage at which it will work.

Soygen
07-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Up until about 3 weeks ago I STILL had my /attack off /doability 6(fd) key on my main page, now I use the regular FD hotkey so I can see its refresh.
I think (but dont remember for sure) the reason FD used to fail so often was that there was a bit of server lag, and when you FD'd you were still attacking, which then in turn broke the feign, but with attack off, it counted you as actually FD'ing.

but aye, all those old monkly problems of attack off before FD, make sure kick is active before you instill doubt (intimidate), etc, have been fixed now (thank god).

Yup, it was because of latency between client/server. Often a combat round would still be going through serverside when you hit feign and it wouldn't register your feign. I still hit attack off then feign out of habit. :D

Quanko
07-02-2006, 03:17 PM
The way to get mend useful fast is to hit it everytime its up. What I do is go to options where you have keyboard settings and toggle the mend hotkey spot with your left and right arrow key. You will constantly be using it without thinking and skill will raise faster. This was also how I got up my direction sence skill before maps and everything. When mend becomes over 50% reliable, you can take it off and start using normally.

Senadin A
07-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Trust me....i watch that button like an eagle over a gopher! Actually really nice to play on the new server as i found myself reading again articles that were done years ago!

Tzaj
07-03-2006, 12:31 AM
What I remember about mend was whilst you were building up the skill to 100 it had a chance to fail. On a critical fail you actually took damage rather than gain lost hp. So it was better to use mend at 75% health as you skilled up, rather then wait until 25%, because a critical failing mend could well kill you. At least with a critical failed heal at 75% you can get a few fallen to the ground messages in before the mob got you.

I also used to use mend, ID, safe fall and sneak at anytime I could just to skill up pre grouping.

I also seem to recall that you could not be feign with attack on, as there was a very high chance a combat hit by you would break it as you feigned. The devs changed the way FD worked, so now it is a non issue.

Also last thing I used to have was an FD hot key which used to have the attack off. I still use this hot key because the last line is /loc as those co ordinates really are the mutts nuts when you died in a new zone with no vet reward, no lobby, and no necros about to do your CR. 8)

TruPoet7
07-03-2006, 11:14 AM
holy crap I didnt know that. I still to this day automatically DUCK before FDing to stop atk.

We really dont need to do that anymore? wow

Benadebx
07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Hehe i still automatically turn attack off, it's a real habit and i probably won't ever get out of it lmao. Doesn't harm us :lol:

Kamikazy01
07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Also last thing I used to have was an FD hot key which used to have the attack off. I still use this hot key because the last line is /loc as those co ordinates really are the mutts nuts when you died in a new zone with no vet reward, no lobby, and no necros about to do your CR.
that sounds like a pretty good idea

Ssoulle
07-03-2006, 06:39 PM
it was a life saver back in the day. i remember writing down my loc in my notebook designated for EQ stuffz.

Leewei
07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Used to be you could /loc while unconscious and bleeding. Looks like that got 'fixed' -- I now get a yellow message saying "You can't do that while dead." This occurs even when I'm at exactly 0 HPs, i.e. merely unconscious.

Dythan Dabrave
07-03-2006, 08:45 PM
holy crap I didnt know that. I still to this day automatically DUCK before FDing to stop atk.

We really dont need to do that anymore? wow

omg you ducked before your FD !? just wanted that mob to get 1 last solid round of damage on ya?

Ssoulle
07-03-2006, 09:03 PM
i always hit 1-4

(1 being melee attack and 4 being FD hotkey)

Benadebx
07-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I just hit = (Auto atk) then 3 (FD) then 4 (sit/stand/getup)

Gassire
07-05-2006, 03:49 AM
I also seem to recall that you could not be feign with attack on, as there was a very high chance a combat hit by you would break it as you feigned. The devs changed the way FD worked, so now it is a non issue.

It was a latency issure, not a matter of how it worked. Used to be if you didn't turn off auto attack the game might register you throwing an attack after you hit FD which would re-aggro the monster.